Monday, December 5, 2011

Czechoslovakian Bar Cookies


Ingredients
1/2 lb butter (I use unsalted)
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup raspberry jam (I added more, about 1 cup -- both work)
1 cup walnuts, chopped (reserve some for top of cookies, about 1/4 cup)

Preheat the oven to 325F.
Cream the butter and add the sugar gradually until light and fluffy. I used my stand mixer.
Add the yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Slowly add the flour and fold in the chopped nuts.
Spread half of the dough into a greased 8x8-inch pan. Spread on the raspberry jam and then spread the remaining dough across the top. I pat the dough out to fit the pan and then I lay it over the top. Trying to spread the dough on top of the jam is too messy.
Sprinkle on the reserved walnuts.
Bake for 1 hour (I needed an additional 10-15 minutes). It should be golden brown across the top. The middle shouldn't be doughy. Cool and cut into bars or squares (cut around the edges first though).




No comments:

Post a Comment